OUR HISTORY

image48

DC 36/LOCAL 86 REPRESENTING ARIZONA SINCE 1910


Our union, like many modern labor unions, was founded in the 19th century to set standards for uniform compensation in the trades and provide a community for workers to share ideas and solve problems. The Brotherhood of Painters and Decorators of America was organized formally in 1887. Within a year, the union boasted a membership of over 7,000 tradesmen and more than 100 local unions. These trade unionists soon realized the power that they had together, rather than staying separate and facing their problems alone. Backed by a growing centralized union, these dedicated organizers won victories over oppressive working conditions that were once thought unchangeable.


The painters in Arizona petitioned the International Brotherhood of  Painters and Decorators of America and was granted a charter on September 26, 1910, and thus Local 86 was formed.


On September 24, 2018 Local Union 86 became affiliated with District Councial 36.